everybody steals from everybody; that's hollywood
Seems I've been all up in L.A.'s grill lately:
* Gearing up to read the biography of Louis B. Mayer
* Having just watched "Hollywoodland", thinking about re-renting "Mulholland Dr." (a mind fuck, yes)
* Skimming Craigslist for pictures of charming bungalows
* Learning more about the town in which I was born (betcha didn't know that I am a bona fide born-in-the-Valley girl)
*Dreaming of a trip to the LOST Weekend Fan Party in Hollywood
*Pining for sunny weather during a couple of bitterly cold New York days (though it's warming up soon -- upper 50s next week!)
And on and on...
...BUT this documentary was an educational respite from all of that cushy L.A.-ness.
It's a film directed by Cle "Bone" Sloan, a member of the Bloods from the neighborhood of Athens Park and he delves into the history of gangs in L.A. with an insider's eye.
If you have HBO on Demand, I recommend you check it out before it's removed on March 11th.
(So, um, Crogers? I'm, like, gonna come visit, a'ight?)
5 comments:
I went to southern california for the first time recently. It was really different than the bay area, that's for sure.
That L.A... it's no San Francisco.
I really liked my brief stay in Los Angeles. I also love San Francisco.
I started watching it last night. The footage from the late 80s was really good, but I'm not sure if I learned anything new from the first 20 minutes or so before I went to bed. Maybe I'll finish it tonight.
I had no clue about the US Organization at all, let alone the organization's role (with the Black Panthers) in being a precursor to Bloods & Crips.
I had never even heard of Bunchy Carter.
I did some wiki'ing and found out that Ron Karenga, the creator of the US Org, also founded Kwanzaa and became chairman of the Black Studies department at my parents' alma mater, CSU Long Beach.
Post a Comment