Thursday, October 25, 2007

we just kind of had a party and everybody came

Kurt Cobain's suicide was brought to my attention one April day after school while I was watching MTV. I called my boyfriend, Donald, and told him the news.

Donald was actually my ex-boyfriend at that point -- I remember this because Kurt's death saddened us to the point that the only thing we could even think to do was head to Kaldi's coffeehouse in the French Quarter, smoke clove cigarettes, and decide that we should just get back together.

On the way to work this morning, I was listening to an interview with Dave Grohl on NPR's "Fresh Air". Terry Gross played snippets of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Heart-Shaped Box" during the piece and it was the first time I had heard those songs in years.

Call it Clinton Nostalgia, but I miss the 90s.

5 comments:

kenniebloggins said...

No blog harshing offense meant, but Clinton wasn't prez. when Nirvana and grunge broke. Perhaps, it is the Bush the elder years you really miss. It's okay, you can admit it.

jd said...

You are correct that GHWB was president in 1991, the year that "Nevermind" was released.

I didn't, however, mean to imply that I am lamenting the time when Nirvana broke, but rather more my mid-to-late high school years, when Clinton was, indeed, president and I was listening to a lot of Nirvana.

Anonymous said...

So, basically you're saying you were one of those kids who only liked Nirvana after they were popular? I knew it.

Ah, nostalgia for the days when everyone said: "I was into them before..."

jd said...

No cookies for you tonight, Porkchop!

kenniebloggins said...

Porkchop, that ruled!