Thursday, January 17, 2008

#

I made a $100 bet that I could lose 10 pounds by my birthday. Please be very encouraging.

If I win, I am 10 pounds lighter (but not $100 richer).
If I lose, I am $100 poorer and a terrible failure.

Let the games begin.

(PS: Emma, I made this bet an hour before listening to my saved copy of the Talk of the Nation podcast where it was discussed. Must be in the collective unconscious right now!)

10 comments:

kenniebloggins said...

Why don't you get $100if you win? South Beach, yo.

jd said...

My reward is losing the ten pounds!

Anonymous said...

you should at least get a birthday dinner from the bettor. but you can totally do that in a month, gawd!

Anonymous said...

take the special K challenge!! you get to eat delicious cereal AND they have some sort of guarantee!

Anonymous said...

You don't need to lose 10 pounds, you are beautiful just the way you are. :)

jd said...

Aw, thank you Al -- but I really want to fit back into my $150 jeans. :)

Sarah said...

that is so awesome!! haha! i hope it works for you (though, i second allison's comment wholeheartedly)!

kenniebloggins said...

I can't believe an economist made that bet. It's not a bet, really, because it's only one-sided. I would have totally taken that bet because it's like, either my friend loses the 10 lbs she wants to lose or I get $100. It's only a bet for you. At least you get to keep your money when you win.

jd said...

Okay, okay, so it's not a bet but rather an economic incentive for me to get off my ass and exercise.

Either way, it's working.

kenniebloggins said...

It's almost like having someone taze you if you don't lose the weight. It's still a negative incentive, because you never stand to win. One can lose 10 lbs without losing money. I think you should at least get to taze somebody, regardless of the outcome.