Thursday, February 21, 2008

no poo

I read this article in today's NYT and decided to consult with AB. When I told her that I, indeed, wash my hair every single day, she replied with an exasperated, "That's ridiculous!"

Apparently shampoo just strips your hair of the oils that you inevitably replace with conditioner.

Who knew?

My hair has been bleached, dyed, fried, permed, blown out, flat ironed, and even clothes ironed throughout the years. I started dying it when I was 12. It's been chocolate brown and platinum blonde and (ugh) red and (ughhhh) purple in my day. I think I need to treat it with a bit more respect.

I'm going to try to give up the sham (HA!) for a bit and see what happens.

More info here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your turn to grow dreads!

jd said...

The baton has been passed!

Anonymous said...

I wash my hair about twice a week (frankly, when it starts to itch or has visible product build-up), but condition almost daily. This is a long-held curly hair secret. Your hair will be much happier. :)

caddy said...

i wash my hair once or twice a month, depending on how sweaty/dirty/etc it gets. i use a little bit of conditioner every days and massage it into my scalp and the ends of my hair. since i started doing this a year ago my hair has never looked better. but i do have curly hair, which makes a difference.

kenniebloggins said...

If I'm not doing cardio at the gym, I wash my hair twice a week max. If I'm doing lots of cardio, then it's all sweaty and stinks, so I wash it. It looks far better when I only wash it about twice a week. A few years ago, I would wash it like every 10th day. I'm kind of surprised you didn't know that shampoo strips hair of natural oils and shit. I forget which girl told me this important info, but I've known it for years.