Monday, August 28, 2006

countdown

I was not at the wedding this weekend and thus, have endured emails about how wonderful it was and how beautiful everyone (especially the bride!) looked and on and on. I asked for it. It has made me wonder why I didn't just tighten the belt a bit and purchase a plane ticket? Or do as SM suggested and just rent that car in the middle of the night on Friday and show up? Alas, I didn't. The weekend is over.

AW and I made Diet Coke Cake for dinner and ate soggy pieces of Jersey pizza for dessert. We clipped out recipes from old copies of Martha Stewart Living and Gourmet and watched a biopic on Barbara Mandrell, starring Marcia Brady. It was a good weekend. It was one of those weekends that reminds me that the best weekends lately are those spent outside the city, and then it begins to make me wonder why I had this intense need to live in the city to begin with.

Two years ago, I couldn't wait to get here. It would be a dream realized. One of those things to check off of that proverbial list of Things To Do Before I Die.

I said good-bye to Maisy and hello to photography and good-bye to HIV counseling and hello to nutrition education. I've gone on a smattering of odd and wonderful dates and had that-one-boyfriend for two months or so, but it's a far cry from my experiences in times past when I was hardly single. I've been to a Woody Allen movie at an Upper East Side theater in the middle of the day. I've had dim sum in Chinatown. I've seen a baseball game on Staten Island. I've seen mermaids parade through Coney Island. I've spent hot weekends on the sand at Rockaway Beach. I've watched the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree light up from my warm office building while drinking beer with co-workers. I've elbowed the crowds on the subway. I've had long-winded conversations with cab drivers. I've had post-brunch snowball fights during the worst blizzard in a generation.

It's been good and I'm glad I've done it.

I don't know what Atlanta redux will bring in three months, but I know that I'm not fully the same person who left it two years ago.

Check mark.

4 comments:

MsLalynn said...

I'm glad I happened on your blog. I love New York, I love Atlanta, and I find your posts very conversational and entertaining...like reading a novel. Good job. (My husband is from Atlanta, and we used to live there. My mother and I used to go to New York--where she went to nursing school--every year to see plays.) You brought back good memories. Take care.

Lynn

jd said...

Thank you, Lynn!

Anonymous said...

I would say you've experienced everything you should in NY without getting sucked in and stuck here. Im stuck here, HELP!

It's been an important two years having you here. I'll see you in the ATL, or probably just see you next week. Dinner at Dumont on Monday or Thurs?

jd said...

Awww, brutha man. You are always welcome to visit me in the ATL, y'know.

Yes, Dumont next week -- you buyin' me some mac & cheese?