Monday, October 30, 2006

what did one snowman say to the other?

So, folks, the dream is over: Iowa doesn't want me. Now, I don't understand it, either. Even my supervisor is in shock. I thought I had it in the bag and was just going through the motions with other jobs until Iowa got off its ass and made me an offer.

Everything happens for a reason, I believe.

What will my Plan B be? What if I don't find anything by the time my lease is up in New York?

I told SM that I could just move back in with my mother, with whom I haven't lived since I was 17. I could work at her flower shop and wither away into nothingness.

I could go back to July's Plan A and move to Atlanta without a job; I could take whatever comes and hope that one day, that resume I submitted to the CDC will end in employment.

I could buy a car and just drive until I run out of gas.

I could fly to the West Coast and hitchhike.

I could enroll in culinary school, accrue more debt, and come out making $5.15 an hour on the line in a hot kitchen.

I could take a bus across the border, into Canada, taking pictures as I go.

I could cross my fingers that the job with the state of XXX works out, even though the state of XXX doesn't speak to my heart.

I've got four weeks to come up with something.

Help.

8 comments:

caddy said...

so sorry aboutr not getting the job. that really sucks. you would have a) frozen and b) been really bored there anyway. as for advice on what to do, i have none, being in the same boat myself. living at home isn't too terrible if it comes down to it, but don't stay as long as i have ... determined not to turn 30 in my mom's house!

jd said...

Thank you for the encouragement, Caddy...

I'm thinking about just buying a motorcycle and driving across the country, picking up odd jobs along the way.

Of course, I don't know how to ride a motorcycle.

Minor snag in the dream.

scarnsworth said...

does this sentence -
"I could cross my fingers that the job with the state of XXX works out, even though the state of XXX doesn't speak to my heart."
mean that you are now seriously considering that foray into the grown-up person movie making industry that we talked about that time at zen palate?? we'll be millionaires!!!

jd said...

I was wondering who was going to be the first one to comment on the wink-wink-nudge-nudge of that line -- I'm glad it was you!

Scarny and Crogers, we really need to have a brainstorming session...

Historical Erotica: I love it.

psmee said...

hang in there! i recently experienced a similar situation. and i know that one day you'll wake up without a plan, and by the time you go to sleep that day, you'll have one! a miracle! the right path will find you if you are watchful for it. i can't wait to hear what it is!

jd said...

Thank you, psmee! I do hope you're right...!

This morning I've been thinking that maybe I should just say "screw it" and work as a sales counselor at Jenny Craig.

Sarah said...

dude, eff iowa. seriously, i can't believe that! it's going to happen for you, if you didn't get it it obviously wasn't right. cold comfort now, but i will so keep my eye out for opportunities for you!

jd said...

Thank you, Emma. Yes, keep your eyes peeled for me!