Monday, September 11, 2006

five years ago today i was asleep

Like Darkness, I was asleep five years ago today. I went to see the C'est Mortel show at the Caledonia the night before and overindulged. I ended that evening throwing up out the side of Coley's grandmother's Ford Explorer, which had recently returned from Maserati's first summer tour.

Coley and I both called out sick that morning, before anything had happened. It was rare for us to have a day off together. We fell back asleep until 2:00 PM, despite the phone ringing off the hook all morning.

My brother, of course, was in New York. My stepfather, stationed at the Pentagon.

I finally woke up and turned on the TV. I saw "Atlanta on Alert" and sleepily remarked to Coley that "something happened in Atlanta, I think..." until the camera pulled back and I realized it was New York. I ran to the phone and called my mom. Everyone was okay. I remember crying, with my back leaning against Coley's legs as he sat on the edge of the bed. He was rubbing my shoulders.

We walked out to the living room and found that a group had accumulated. I don't remember everyone who was there. Coley and I walked across the street and bought a pizza. We brought it back to the house and I read the paper, with one eye on TV, for hours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember being at your house watching tv, waiting for bush to make that speech.

jd said...

Ah, yes. I think Sean Rawls was there, too. Mindy and MB, of course. Who else?

jd said...

Are you kidding? That's what he said? Ridiculous a-hole, yo.

I hope you contested that ticket!